Monday 9 July 2012

Controversial Baking - Rosemary & Polenta Biscuits

Not for everyone, but I liked it!
It's very rare that I bake but these biscuits sounded interesting, a sort of Italian shortbread. Another recipe I found in the Metro. I made them yesterday morning, kind of by accident, it was so simple that before I knew it I'd made them before breakfast. Much to the Boyfriend's disapproval, prompting pathetic cries of 'I know a lovely bacon and egg sandwich recipe if you want one...'

Makes 6 pudding sized biscuits. In a bowl, mix 150g plain flour, 30g fine polenta and 60g caster sugar with a pinch of salt. Add 3 sprigs finely chopped rosemary and 90ml olive oil (not extra virgin) and mix well. You will have a crumbly dry-ish mixture. Scoop the mixture out onto a baking paper lined baking tray and pat down into a round flat shape approx 1/2cm thick. Or use a loose-bottomed cake tin. Put in the fridge for an hour then bake for 40 mins (until very lightly coloured) at 150c. Remove and leave on the tray for 5 minutes then cool properly on a cooling rack. I cut it into wedges and served with berries and vanilla ice cream to a mixed response. Sister really wasn't sure. The Boyfriend didn't even try it, I liked it in a curious way, and my friend Hannah and sister's boyfriend wolfed it down. Out of politeness or genuine enthusiasm I will never know...

3 comments:

  1. hur, maybe it wasn't meant to be a sweet sort of biscuit? I would think with rosemary inside, it might be better as a cheese and biscuit kind of biscuit..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shu Han, it was definitely supposed to be sweet, but I think I'll make it again with parmesan instead of sugar...much better!

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a much better idea I agree! Good luck this time round!

      Delete