Tuesday 11 January 2011

A rather religious breakfast.

Purgatory? Nope, this is pure heaven.

This will sort you out
Woke up gloriously late, even for me, on Saturday and the only thing I wanted and needed was Eggs in Purgatory. The soothing twangs of Taj Mahal was on the stereo. I got the recipe from my trusted Waitrose Kitchen magazine, its by that nice Ozzie bloke Bill Granger. I thought it was some bizarrely named thing he invented but actually its a very traditional dish from Naples. After the first time I made it I was hooked, so much better than the usual fry-up but equally theraputic when seeking a cure for a thick cider head. Make it once and you won't need the recipe again. Another plus is the way my fridge/cupboard always seems to be magically prepared for this dish.

For two: fry a chopped onion, add a few cloves of chopped garlic, get it really soft, add some chopped chorozo, bacon or other salty meatiness, chuck in a tin of chopped tomatoes, stir around, then break in as many eggs as you like on top, cover, and simmer until the whites are cooked but the yolks are still oozy. Sprinkle with chopped parley and chilli, season, and voila! Serving with a hangover is optional, whatever works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment